From Calguns Foundation Wiki
Revision as of 09:26, 14 November 2009 by Dedeye (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Frequently Asked Questions: What is a PRIVATE PARTY TRANSFER?

Simple answers for simple questions

Link to discussion thread

California requires substantially all firearms transfers to take place at a CA-licensed FFL. Other states allow “face to face” (FTF) transfers, but California does not.

A California Private Party Transfer (PPT) requires all the formalities of a dealer sale – 10 day wait, DROS and 4473 paperwork, lock for the firearm.

The DROS software will accept only CA identification, so PPT is currently limited to only California residents. This means that while your friend from out of state may sell you his gun at a California FFL, it will not be a PPT but an interstate transfer.

PPT is exempt from the Handgun “Roster”.

PPT is exempt from the “purchase only one in 30 days”.


Calguns: Buying and selling FIrearms in California