Contemporary Anti-Gun Belifs
What do those opposed to the RKBA believe?
- Guns have no social value. Sure, people may enjoy hunting and target shooting but people also enjoy prostitution and drugs. Those who oppose guns do not believe that they have any redeeming social value.
- Guns are inherently violent. Even setting aside the above and considering any possible social value of guns, it comes through the exercise of violence whether it be killing innocent and defenseless animals or members of society who may commit a crime in a momentary moment of weakness.
- Guns faciliate crime and violence. Even if 99.99% of gun owners are trustworthy the few bad apples who misuse guns completely swamp the scales against them. How many innocent children must die to enable your enjoyment of hunting and target shooting?
- Guns symbolize violence. People who like guns are sick in the head and need psychological counseling, not indulgence. Getting rid of guns would be one step toward curing this problem.
- Projected rage. Various emotional defensive mechanisms that redirect rage into opposition to guns. If I don't trust myself with a gun how can I possibly trust you?
- Fear of the dangerous devices. Firearms are complex mechanical devices that make loud noises and kill people. If I can't understand how firearms work then it makes sense for only professionals (e.g. police and army) to have guns. I [for whatever reason] am not going to use or own a gun and the only people who I know are "on my side" (aka "will defend me") are the police and military. Since I don't know anyone else's intentions (much less their training, responsibility and accountability) then I have no reason to support anyone else in their effort to own and use firearms. I can't successfully defend myself, because if I had a weapon it would just get taken away from me. I have to depend on the government for safety, because having a badge and a uniform magically makes people capable of using a gun effectively.
- The more guns people have, the more incidients of violence there will be.
Underlying these are two broad themes: pacifism and utopianism.
And what do those opposed to the RKBA believe that those in favor of the RKBA believe?
- I need a gun to protect me from a dangerous world. I'm scared. (Note that antigunners do not concur that the world is actually so dangerous and they would interpret this as paranoia.)
- I feel inadequate and insecure and I need a gun to make me a real man. (Or some such variation.)
- I'm a violent person or I love violence.
- I am a criminal or have criminal intent.
- Redneck, lacking in genitalia, violent, mentally unstable, baby killer, blood sport advocate.
- I am more interested in enjoying their shooting sports than in preventing crime and accidental shootings.
- I am a vigilante uninterested in, or despaired of, creating a polite and proper society.
Pro-Gun Strategies and Tactics
Argument and debate.
Legal action upon the Second Amendment.
Publicly exercising existing rights in an exemplary and responsible manner (e.g. open carry).