The Calguns Foundation Wiki
We attempt to answer frequently asked questions about California and Federal Firearms laws on this wiki. Please note that we can not host electioneering where we attempt to influence the outcome of a campaign. CGF can host information on pending and past legislation that effects the civil rights of California Gun Owners.
- 1 California Firearms Laws
- 2 FAQ
- 3 Poltical Analysis
- 4 Dictionary
- 5 Resources
California Firearms Laws
- Off List Lowers (OLL/OLR) - ARs, AKs, FALs, etc.
- Non detachable magazines
- Options for detachable magazines
- Firearms listed by name as Assault Weapons
- Possession of UNregistered California "assault weapons"
- Buying and selling firearms in California
- Firearms registration
- .50 BMG rifles
- Transferring firearms Interstate
- Transferring Firearms Among Some Family Members
- Moving to California with firearms
- Shipping Firearms Within California
- Transporting long arms
- Defining loaded in California
- Large-capacity magazine restrictions
- The CFLC system
- Personal manufacture
- Federal residency requirements
- Importing Firearms into the United States
- Firearms rights prohibitions
- Gun Free School Zones
- Firearms on Federal Bureau of Land Management Property
- Restoring firearms rights
- State Preemption of Some Gun Regulation
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Useful Acronyms
- The Handgun Safety Certificate
- The Safe Handgun List
- Options for acquiring unlisted handguns
- Intrafamily transfers
- Single shot exemption
- Open Carry Unloaded
- Defining Concealed
- California License to Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW)
- Limits on handgun purchases
- 21 or Older for Handguns
- Restrictions on semiautomatic handguns
- Voluntary Registration
General requirements are 18" minimum barrel length, 26" minimum overall length.
Most conceivable configurations are allowed, including:
- Folding stocks (minimum length measured while folded applies).
- Bayonet lugs.
- Pistol grips.
- Detachable magazines (Saiga's converted to single-shot, etc).
There are a few restrictions:
- No detachable magazine (bullet button, etc, ok).
- No folding or telescoping stock.
- No pistol grip, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.