The Calguns Foundation Wiki
We attempt to answer frequently asked questions about California and Federal Firearms laws on this wiki. Please note that we can not host electioneering where we attempt to influence the outcome of a campaign. CGF can host information on pending and past legislation that effects the civil rights of California Gun Owners.
- 1 California Firearms Laws
- 2 Litigation Past and Present
- 3 Recent legislation
- 4 FAQ
- 5 Poltical Analysis
- 6 Dictionary
- 7 Resources
- 8 Contributor's/Editor's Note
California Firearms Laws
- Time Line of California Firearms Laws
- Time Line of Federal Firearms laws since 1968
- History of 'Assault Weapon' laws
- Off List Lowers (OLL/OLR) - ARs, AKs, FALs, etc.
- Non detachable magazines
- Options for detachable magazines
- Firearms listed by name as Assault Weapons
- Possession of UNregistered California "assault weapons"
- Military Assault Weapon Permit - MAWP
- Definition of a firearm/gun
- Buying and selling firearms in California
- Firearms registration
- .50 BMG rifles
- Transferring firearms Interstate
- Transferring Firearms Among Some Family Members
- Inheriting firearms, both within California and Interstate
- Moving to California with firearms
- Shipping Firearms Within California
- Defining loaded in California
- Large-capacity magazine restrictions
- The CFLC system
- Personal manufacture
- Federal residency requirements
- Importing Firearms into the United States
- Firearms rights prohibitions
- Gun Free School Zones
- Firearms on Federal Bureau of Land Management Property
- Restoring firearms rights
- State Preemption of Some Gun Regulation
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Useful Acronyms
- Gun Buy Back Programs
- The Handgun Safety Certificate
- The Safe Handgun List
- Options for acquiring unlisted handguns
- Intrafamily transfers
- Single shot exemption
- Unloaded Open Carry
- Defining Concealed
- Unlicensed Concealed Carry
- California License to Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW)
- Limits on handgun purchases
- 21 or Older for Handguns
- Restrictions on semiautomatic handguns
- Voluntary Registration
General requirements are 18" minimum barrel length, 26" minimum overall length.
Most conceivable configurations are allowed, including:
- Folding stocks (minimum length measured while folded applies).
- Bayonet lugs.
- Pistol grips.
- Detachable magazines (Saiga's converted to single-shot, etc).
There are a few restrictions:
- No detachable magazines (bullet button, etc, ok).
- No folding or telescoping stock in combination with a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip
2009 - AB 962 De Leon, Ammunition -- overturned JAN 18th, 2011
- California Code from the CA Legislature,California Penal Code from FindLaw, California Penal Code from ONCLE
- California Code of Regulations (CCR)
- California Criminal Jury Instructions
- United States Code
We apologize for any confusion experienced while the articles are undergoing revision.