The Calguns Foundation Wiki
We attempt to answer frequently asked questions about California and Federal Firearms laws on this wiki. Please note that we can not host electioneering where we attempt to influence the outcome of a campaign. CGF can host information on pending and past legislation that affects the civil rights of California Gun Owners.
We apologize for any confusion experienced while the articles are undergoing revision.
See this PDF for a 37-page translation of old Penal Code numbers to new Penal Code numbers, effective January 2012: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/images/3/3a/California_Penal_Code_Renumbering%2C_2012.pdf
Moving to or Visiting California With Firearms
New residents or visitors should read the article here : Moving to California with firearms
Transportation of Firearms
California Firearms Laws
- Time Line of California Firearms Laws
- Time Line of Federal Firearms laws since 1968
- History of 'Assault Weapon' laws
- Off List Lowers (OLL/OLR) - ARs, AKs, FALs, etc.
- Non detachable magazines
- Options for detachable magazines
- Firearms listed by name as Assault Weapons
- Possession of UNregistered California "assault weapons"
- Military Assault Weapon Permit - MAWP
- Penal Code covering Assault weapons and .50 Caliber rifles
- UNRegistering a registered 'assault weapon'
- Possible 'constructive possession' of parts - CA vs Tien Duc Nguyen
- Federal residency requirements
- Felons and firearms and ammunition (California)
- Felons and other prohibited persons and Firearms and Ammunition (Federal)
- Firearms on Federal Bureau of Land Management Property
- Firearms registration
- Firearms rights prohibitions and the Armed Prohibited Persons (APP) program
- Flying with firearms
- Importing Firearms into the United States
- Inheriting firearms, both within California and Interstate
- Large-capacity magazine restrictions
- Lend or Loan a Firearm
- Locks, Safes and Laws
- Moving to California with firearms
- Personal manufacture
- The Handgun Safety Certificate
- The Safe Handgun List
- Options for acquiring unlisted handguns
- Intrafamily transfers
- Single shot exemption
- Unloaded Open Carry
- Defining Concealed
- Unlicensed Concealed Carry
- California License to Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW)
- Limits on handgun purchases
- 21 or Older for Handguns
- Restrictions on semiautomatic handguns
- Voluntary Registration
Illegal, or highly questionable guns and products
This section covers some things which, while sometimes arguably legal, might be very difficult or expensive to defend.
2009 - AB 962 De Leon, Ammunition -- overturned JAN 18th, 2011
2013 - Sept 14. The crop of bills for the first year of the 2013-2014 session has been sent to the Governor. As bills are signed into law, or otherwise allowed to become law, articles will be amended as needed.
- Table of Contents to California Penal Code - Of most relevance is "PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS" beginning with section 16000.
- California Code from the CA Legislature,California Penal Code from FindLaw, California Penal Code from ONCLE
- California Code of Regulations (CCR)
- California Criminal Jury Instructions
- United States Code